Tuesday, October 29, 2013

21 week update on type of twins

I originally had an appointment scheduled for Friday to meet with the perinatologist that originally said the girls had a separating membrane but couldn't stand not knowing any longer so I went in today. Just as we suspected, the girls are in fact in 1 amniotic sac. They are Monoamniotic Monochorionic Twins or MoMo twins as they are nicknamed.
21 weeks, 3 days
There they were, swimming around as Brody would say, together. They've moved a lot since last week, this time their heads were by each other. They even looked at us so we could get a face shot of each of them. They were very active, moving all over the place.

So what now? It's not going to be a question of "if" I have to go on hospital bed rest but rather "when". We actually have a lot of say in when, which is sort of scary. The reason for that is because if we decide to go into the hospital, I will be monitored likely 3 times/day. We would have to be ready & willing to intervene/deliver at any point if things looked too risky. So if I went in at 24 weeks for inpatient bedrest & monitoring, we'd have to be ready & willing to deliver at that time. While the girls are "viable" (I hate that word) at 24 weeks, there is a lot of risk with prematurity that early and not a very favorable outcome for both. However, waiting even 2weeks going to 26 weeks make the odds a whole lot more favorable. They will likely come early because the risks go up the longer they stay in & on the flip side, the risks go up if they're delivered early. We just have to wait & see. Obviously we are praying that they stay put a lot longer and that the pregnancy is uneventful but we just can't tell the outcome, only God knows that & our babies are in His hands. Right now they look great, about 10" long each & a little over a pound each. They are each measuring right on with what a singleton baby looks like at this gestational age. They are both getting adequate and equal nutrition & blood flow. I can feel them moving around more regularly which is refreshing too. Their cords have twisted a little but nothing dangerous. He made me feel a little more at ease when he told me that the umbilical cords have a protective coating on the outside, sort of a wax like coating. This helps to try to prevent compression of the cords.
21 weeks, 3 days

21 weeks, 3 days
So now I will be going to the Perinatologist every week & we will take it week by week before deciding on when to go into the hospital. It won't be before 24 weeks (Nov. 17th) but could come anytime after that. We are feeling a little in shock (well, I still am at the fact that I'm carrying 2 babies but now this information adds to it), boggled, confused, scared. But I know Bryan has such a great faith & trust in the Lord that he is leaning on that. I am trying my hardest to do the same, but the anxious person in me can't seem to help but worry. I hate the unknown and what if's.

We are so very blessed to have an awesome nanny to help care for the kids & she is going to stay with us to the end of the year. This will help so much for when I'm in the hospital. She can be with the kiddos (who love her so much) & get Ani to & from school as well as help around the house. Depending on where we're at with me in the hospital or if the girls have come, our fantastic Cynthia (Bryan's mom) will plan to come in January to help out. My mom will be here over Christmas and as she is able to come with her job.

Please keep these precious baby girls in your prayers for an uneventful next couple months.

2 comments:

  1. You look GREAT!!! I'm loving that you have a blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all daily in my prayers. Trust God!

    ReplyDelete