I met with the Perinatologist (high risk OB) yesterday for my routine bi-weekly appt. Girls look great, growing well & sort of make a circle-where one's feet stop, the others head begins & where her feet stop, the others head begins. Sounds uneventful but unfortunately it was not. She told me that she cannot find a dividing membrane between the two babies. What does that mean you say. I think I talked about it further back in one of my first blogs but i'll refresh. There are different types of twins but what this would mean is that I am carrying Monoamniotic twins. "Monoamniotic twins are identical twins that share same amniotic sac within their mother’s uterus. Monoamniotic twins are always identical, and always monochorionic as well (sharing the same placenta), and are sometimes termed Monoamniotic-Monochorionic("MoMo") twins. They also share the placenta, but have two separate umbilical cords. Monoamniotic twins develop when an embryo does not split until after formation of the amniotic sac, at about 9 days after fertilization.Monoamniotic twins are rare, with an occurrence of 1 in 35,000 to 1 in 60,000 pregnancies, corresponding to about 1% of twin pregnancies." (Wikipedia) If twins are in the same amniotic sac (swimming together in one small pool as Brody would think of it), they have the risk of cord entanglement, cord compression as well as twin to twin transfusion.
My first appt with the Perinatologist was at 16 weeks with another doctor in the practice. He said he saw a faint division between them. She couldn't find it 2 weeks ago & still can't find it & that was all she looked for this time. She said that she wants me to follow up with the doctor that originally thought he saw one next week to see if he can see it. If not, we have basically 2 options. At 24 weeks (viability) I will either have to be at home & come in every other day for monitoring or be admitted to the hospital for the duration of the pregnancy for close monitoring. She didn't say bed rest if at home but it's sort of implied to me. I'll be 24 weeks on 11/17.
From there I went to my regular OB for my routine monthly appt. I get a sonogram at every appt to see them & hear their heartbeat (which is so sweet to the ears). Carrie, world's best Sonographer also tried to find the dividing membrane but could not. My OB straightforwardly said it's just not there & to prepare for those options at 24 weeks. She said if I'm feeling fine & there aren't any further concerns at that time that I should try to stay home rather than going to the hospital. She said having to be in the hospital for the duration will be really hard.
So now what? We wait. We wait & wait until next Friday to see if the Perinatologist can see anything & hopefully give us some direction. Please keep our babies in your prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment