Friday, November 29, 2013

25 weeks, 5 days...a little scary today

I've now been a resident of Presbyterian Hospital of Plano for 10 days...

Most days are uneventful. The girls take some time to be found on the heart monitors, we'll Bits is usually the squirmy one that's hard to find & keep on. I have to stay on for 20 min once they are both on & stay on. These are called NST's (non-stress tests). Sunday Pieces has some deceleration so her her heart rate but they came back up pretty quickly. The nurses & my OB tell me this is normal for their size because they can grab or lean on each other's umbilical cord since they still have a lot of space in there. As of Tuesdays sonogram, Bits (baby B) weighs approx 1 lb, 12 oz & Pieces (baby A) weighs approx 1 lb, 10 oz. they are approx 12" long. Their typical heart rates are Bits; 140's-low 160's, Pieces: 130's-140's.

Today was a bit of a different story! This afternoon for my routine 2nd monitoring of the day, my nurse had a really hard time finding Bits. She called another nurse in to help, which they often have to do. She found Bits heartbeat but it slowly started decelerating into the upper 80's-90's. It's was staying low for a few min & I slowly noticed more nurses coming in, repositioning of me, requests to call the doctor, bring in IV supplies & a hospital gown. I was put of oxygen & a pulsox was put on me. The nurses let me know what was going on & they remained very calm. I was crying, scared, praying. They said everything was just a precaution. The OB on call told them to call my Perinatologists office to get a sonogram. She didn't want to deliver 25 week babies if she didn't have to. We needed to see what was going on. At this point I had 4 nurses & a patient care tech in my small room. I called Bryan to have him come but couldn't get the words out so my nurse talked to him. Bits heart rate began rising & was back to normal in no time. They both stayed stable & steady for the next 40 min. Bryan arrived & calmed me, things looked good at this point. I had a sonogram & both babies looked fantastic. It was likely just some compression on Bits' cord but with repositioning me & getting more oxygen in me helped a great deal. Shout out to my fantastic nurses; Olena, Jane, Cyndi, Sylvia and to our friend Drew for watching our other babies so Bryan could be here!

I should be put on the monitor soon & have to stay on for an hour tonight. I also have to get a steroid shot tonight and tomorrow night to help speed up their lung development. Please keep our girls in your prayers!


1 comment:

  1. You are in my prayers Rachel. Sounds like you are in great hands there.

    ReplyDelete